Depression is different than feeling temporarily sad or unhappy. Instead, depression leaves you feeling unmotivated, overwhelmed, tired and hopeless for an extended period of time (at least two weeks). Additionally, it can decrease your enjoyment of, or excitement for things that used to make you happy. It can negatively impact relationships, work, school, physical health and make it more difficult for you to manage emotions. The experience of depression may or may not have been triggered by an identifiable event and often, those who are depressed don’t always know why they feel the way they do. If you can relate to some or all of these symptoms, you might be depressed.
Personal counselling for depression helps you to become more aware of your thoughts, feelings, and behaviours, and how they impact each other. Increasing this awareness is a necessary first step to take before various strategies and techniques can be implemented to help you improve the way you are feeling.
Some commonly used approaches used by Defining Solution’s psychologists include:
- exploring the barriers that may be getting in the way of you feeling better about yourself and your life
- learning new skills that can support greater well-being and life satisfaction
- exploring and practicing mindfulnesstechniques that can helpre-focus your attention more on things that are self-supporting
- shifting unhealthy and unhelpful thoughts and behaviours
- understanding and reframing your story in a way that is less self-condemning, and can support you in feeling better
Consider consulting with a psychologist with Defining Solutions who can help you find greater meaning and purpose again and to make long-lasting changes to the way you feel and live your life.
Health Canada – Mental Health – Depression
Helpguide.org – Depression Symptoms & Warning Signs